The Beady Eyed Craftster is our (mostly) weekly round-up of shiny (mostly) art and craft related links from across the internets. This week, however, given that Halloween is just around the corner, I thought it might be time for an octopus / pumpkin themed post.
• First up: check out this awesome nautilus from the folks at the Monterey Bay Aquarium – brilliantly done, and very clever. Love the tentacles and the stippling.
• On a different scale now, this giant squid – yes it’s five years old now, but I’d not seen it before. Not quite as finessed as the nautilus above, but cool stuff.
• And as for the 3rd member of our holy nautilus-squid-octopus cephalo-trinity: Coastal Living brings us this neat set (patch?) of marine-themed pumpkins, including templates and instructions.
• Talking of cephalopodic deities, this one’s unbelievable: look at the incredible detail on this Cthulhu pumpkin. Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn! as all the cool kids are saying.
• If the above has got you itching to carve, you’ll want to take a look at this little video featuring the Maniac Pumpkin Carvers Marc and Chris, whose pumpkins can sell for hundreds of pounds. There’s some great tips and advice on how to pick, carve and preserve your pumpkin. [From Science Friday]
• Finally, non-craft link time: want to hear about a real life pumpkin squid? Well, what about … gothic music … the Vampire Squid From HELL! (yes – it’s really called that: vampyroteuthis infernalis). When threatened, this adorable chap pulls it’s tentacle cloak over it’s head, entering what is known as the ‘pumpkin position’ (presumably on the basis that pumpkins are scary?). The Wikipedia article is well worth a read.
Tags3D art birds buttons cards christmas colour craft craftmas crochet digital art etsy felt food handmade homemade christmas illustration inspiration jade lego links lino lino cut marine life nautilus octopus origami painting paper paper cut photography portfolio postcards printing prints robots sculpture squid tech tools treasury unruley articles valentine vector art work in progress
- Error: No such shop found or shop is not available.