The Beady Eyed Craftster is our (mostly) weekly round-up of shiny (mostly) art and craft related links from across the internets.
• First up: shadow sculpture. Tim Noble and Sue Webster make sculptures out of junk metal and discarded wood; it looks pretty random, but when properly illuminated the shadow forms a figurative image, usually a self-portrait. Clever stuff. [Via Colossal]
• Street art now, from Andre Muniz Gonzaga over at Hi-Fructose; he paints on irregular surfaces like rocks, run down walls and crumbling concrete, working with their random features to add painted features. I love the way these strange faces lend what are clearly neglected areas a fairy tale like touch.
• Another interesting juxtaposition now: Ami Drach and Dov Ganchrow have designed a set of modern plastic housings for ancient flint tools. These pieces cleverly merge today’s cutting edge Apple-esque design with prehistoric (literal) cutting-edge technology, and I find the result oddly unsettling. [Via DesignBoom]
• Here’s a great piece on the hi-speed water photography of Markus Reugels over at Fast Co. Design – not only does it have a great gallery of stunning images, but it goes into more detail about the technique used, which I always find very interesting.
• In fact, talking of technique, I was pleased to find this post showing some of illustration Scott C’s working technique. I linked to Scott C’s charming watercolour pop-culture illustrations a few weeks back, so it’s really fascinating to see how they’re produced.
• And finally; ‘zoetrope’ is one of my favourite words, and also one of my favourite obsolete moving picture technologies – so I was glad to see it being given a bit of a modern makeover by Jeremy Van Grinsven. Using a laser-cut acrylic disk, some LEDs and some clever technical gubbins he’s made a super-cool looking zoetrope – check it out. [Found via Make].
Tags3D art birds buttons cards christmas colour craft craftmas crochet digital art etsy felt food handmade homemade christmas illustration inspiration jade lego links lino lino cut marine life nautilus octopus origami painting paper paper cut photography portfolio postcards printing prints robots sculpture squid tech tools treasury unruley articles valentine vector art work in progress
ARTicles on Etsy