The Beady Eyed Craftster is our mostly weekly round-up of shiny (mostly) art and craft related links from across the internets.
• First up, this London Underground Circuit Map by Yuri Suzuki has been doing the rounds on the internet this week. It’s not hard to see why; Harry Beck’s original Tube map is rightly considered a design classic, and this reworking as a piece of electronics pulls out the similarity between the two sorts of topology. [Vis DesignBoom]
• Staying with transport, check this awesome steampunk octopod-styled vehicle; designed and 3D printed by Sean Charlesworth. Click through for more pictures; some of the details are amazing. 3D printing is getting to be a more and more interesting method of crafting. [Found via Make]
• Also via Make, a different kind of 3D printing: artist Hong Sungchul makes pictures/sculptures by printing onto strings then hanging them together. It’s a cool effect – I wish I could find more details on exactly how it was done.
• Seguing from string to wool; take a look at this amazing needle-felted armoured bear by Etsy-seller Stevi T. It’s incredible work (with a price tag to match) – I can’t even imagine the amount of effort involved.
• Coincidentally there’s also a bear (of the non-armoured variety) in this gallery of images from artist Lorenzo Duran (over on Colossal). What’s special about these images is that they’re formed by cutting shapes out of dried leaves – that must take a very steady hand, but is a pretty cool idea.
• And finally, talking of ideas, cartoonist Grant Snider shows us ‘How To Get Ideas’ – very useful for us crafters, though often I find that getting an idea isn’t the hardest part, it’s knowing what to do with it once you’ve caught it!
Tags3D art birds buttons cards christmas colour craft craftmas crochet digital art etsy felt food handmade homemade christmas illustration inspiration jade lego links lino lino cut marine life nautilus octopus origami painting paper paper cut photography portfolio postcards printing prints robots sculpture squid tech tools treasury unruley articles valentine vector art work in progress
ARTicles on Etsy